Saving Seafood

  • Home
  • News
    • Alerts
    • Conservation & Environment
    • Council Actions
    • Economic Impact
    • Enforcement
    • International & Trade
    • Law
    • Management & Regulation
    • Regulations
    • Nutrition
    • Opinion
    • Other News
    • Safety
    • Science
    • State and Local
  • News by Region
    • New England
    • Mid-Atlantic
    • South Atlantic
    • Gulf of Mexico
    • Pacific
    • North Pacific
    • Western Pacific
  • About
    • Contact Us
    • Fishing Terms Glossary

Massachusetts: Fishing groups back New Bedford as wind liaison

April 10, 2018 — BOSTON — Fishing officials are calling for the New Bedford Port Authority to be the “central facilitator” for discussions between the offshore wind industry and fishermen.

Monday’s letter to Gov. Charlie Baker was sent by the National Coalition for Fishing Communities, a project of Saving Seafood, a group that New Bedford Mayor Jon Mitchell previously said was created by industry players in his city.

New Bedford is both the nation’s top fishing port as measured by the value of catch, mostly owing to the scallop fishery, and offshore wind developers have agreed to use the Whaling City’s harbor facilities as a staging area, so it is on its way to becoming an offshore wind hub, as well.

In the letter, officials also urged him to make the state’s first offshore windfarm “as modest in size and scope as possible” so that its effects can be studied and called for a possible delay in the selection of offshore wind partners.

“Three separate, developer-led outreach efforts have been launched, and all are stumbling to produce meaningful dialogue or move us closer to real solutions in areas ranging from navigation, access, cable routes, radar interference, and gear loss,” the coalition wrote. “Equally troubling, it has become clear that offshore wind developers are unwilling or unable to coordinate their interactions with commercial fishermen to tackle issues that cut across multiple project areas.”

Read the full story at the New Bedford Standard-Times

 

New Bedford vessel cited for hiding scallops

April 9, 2018 — NEW BEDFORD, Mass. — A commercial scallop vessel was found to be hiding scallops following an inspection of the fishing boat on Sunday, April 8, according to the Massachusetts Environmental Police.

The vessel was on a “closed area trip” which restricts the landing limit for scallop meats to a certain poundage. Upon completion of the off-load, the vessel was found to be over the limit by three-hundred pounds. Multiple bags of scallop meats were found hidden throughout the interior of the vessel.

Read the full story at the New Bedford Standard-Times

 

Research Ramps Up as Right Whales Return to New England

April 9, 2018 — PROVINCETOWN, Mass. –Research is underway in the waters off Cape Cod as critically endangered North Atlantic right whales return to the region in large numbers.

Teams from NOAA’s Northeastern Fisheries Science Center are tracking the animals on the water and in the air via aerial and marine survey efforts.

The right whales congregate in Cape Cod Bay in the late winter and early spring every year to feed, and this year researchers have seen an increase in the number of whales off the shore of the Cape.

“Historically we see the largest number of right whales in April, but this year we’ve already seen 50-60 in March,” said NOAA researcher Lisa Conger.

Read the full story at Cape Cod

 

Massachusetts: An industry on the brink

April 9, 2018 — NEW BEDFORD, Mass. — Two computer screens lit Richie Canastra’s windowless office. The co-owner of BASE (Buyers and Sellers Seafood Exchange) seafood auction scrolled through scores of financial data associated with commercial fishing landings at 62 Hassey St.

The numbers that starred back since NOAA implemented a groundfishing ban last November tell a dark story in an industry already struggling to survive.

“With the ban, if we’re not up and fishing by May 1, you might as well just call (groundfishing in New Bedford) over,” Canastra said.

In the four months since NOAA revoked the operational plan for 14 groundfishing vessels, landings at the auction are down 25 percent. With only seven groundfish vessels still fishing from New Bedford, auctions have decreased from daily occurrences to two or three a week.

Prices of fish have also plummeted by an average of 41 cents or 25 percent, he said.

The numbers that flashed on the screen dictated BASE was generating less revenue in the past, but the hardships extended further than BASE.

In speaking with various shore side industry along the Port of New Bedford, the Standard-Times learned BASE’s story isn’t unique. Businesses like Crystal Ice, New Bedford Ship Supply, Southwick Marine Insurance to name a few endure the same financial strain. Even across the port into Fairhaven, businesses like Harbor Hydraulics share in the hardships.

“We’re one company. An ice company. I don’t know how many companies are involved within one fishing vessel. You have fuel. You have ice. You have gear. You have groceries. Right down to the groceries,” said Robe Hicks, the manager of Crystal Ice. “It’s so widespread it’s not even funny.”

The ban stems from the penalties former NOAA Regional Administrator John Bullard implemented against the sector to which Carlos Rafael’s vessels belonged. Rafael is serving a 46-month prison sentence for falsifying fishing quota, tax evasion and bulk cash smuggling.

Read the full story at the New Bedford Standard-Times

 

President Trump Expands Wind Leases Off Martha’s Vineyard

April 9, 2018 — The Trump administration will expand wind energy leases off Martha’s Vineyard, the U.S. Secretary of the Interior announced Friday.

In a press release, Secretary Ryan Zinke said two more areas off Massachusetts totaling some 390,000 acres would go up for sale for future commercial wind farms. The lease area lies near a 300,000-acre swath of wind-rich deepwater ocean already designated for commercial wind farms, roughly 15 to 25 miles south of the Vineyard.

No wind farms have been built yet off Massachusetts, but a high-stakes business race is on as well-funded developers work their way through a dense bureaucractic process of permitting at the state and federal level. Construction could begin by 2019 and run through 2022.

The next key date in the permitting process is April 23, when bid winners will be announced for state-mandated energy contracts with utility providers. Tied to a 2016 law signed by Gov. Charlie Baker requiring state utility companies to buy 1,600 megawatts of power from alternative energy sources in the next decade, the energy contracts are critical for wind developers since they provide a way for wind farms to transmit electricity to consumers via the grid.

To date, three developers have been awarded leases to build utility-scale wind farms off the Vineyard: Vineyard Wind, Deepwater Wind and Baystate Wind.

Vineyard Wind is a partnership between Vineyard Power, the Island energy cooperative, and the Danish company Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners, which has an offshore wind development arm.

Deepwater Wind, based in Providence, R.I., has already launched the country’s first offshore wind farm off Block Island.

Read the full story at the Vineyard Gazette

 

ASMFC: Atlantic Herring Area 1A Days Out Meeting Scheduled for April 25

April 6, 2018 — The following was released by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission:

Atlantic Herring Section members from the states of Maine, New Hampshire and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts will meet on April 25, 2018, to discuss ‘days out’ measures for the 2018 Trimester 2 Area 1A fishing season which occurs from June 1 to September 30. ‘Days out’ measures can include specification of the number of consecutive landings days, weekly landings limits, and restrictions on at-sea transfers. This meeting will take place at the Portland Public Library (Room #5), 5 Monument Square, Portland, ME 04101. The Library opens at 10:00 a.m. and the meeting will start promptly at 10:15 a.m.

Federally permitted Herring Category A vessels must declare into the Area 1A fishery at least 45 days prior to the start of the fishing season. Small-mesh bottom trawl vessels with a federal Herring Category C or D permit must declare into the Area 1A fishery by June 1, 2018. States will send additional correspondence regarding the notification procedure. 

The 2018 Area 1A allowable catch limit is 31,962 metric tons after adjusting for a carryover from 2016. The Section sets the seasonal split as 72.8% allocated from June 1 – September 30 and 27.2% allocated from October 1 – December 31. Fishermen are prohibited from landing more than 2,000 pounds of Atlantic herring per day harvested from Area 1A until June 1, 2018.

2018 Atlantic Herring Fishing Season Sub-ACLs, NMFS Final Rule: https://www.greateratlantic.fisheries.noaa.gov/nr/2018/February/18her2018specsphl.html

The draft agenda can be found at: http://www.asmfc.org/files/Meetings/AtlHerringDaysOut_April2018.pdf. Please contact Megan Ware, Fishery Management Plan Coordinator, at 703.842.0740 or mware@asmfc.orgfor more information.

 

Massachusetts: Offshore wind projects make headway

April 6, 2018 — HYANNIS, Mass. — There are two chances on the horizon for the public to dig into the offshore wind energy plans of Vineyard Wind, with federal and state regulatory reviews underway.

At the same time, Vineyard Wind, Bay State Wind and Deepwater Wind — all of which hope to build wind farms off Martha’s Vineyard and sell electricity from the turbines to Massachusetts electricity distributors — are moving forward with regional collaborations they say will result in community benefits.

Vineyard Wind has announced a collaboration with the nonprofit Citizens Energy Corp. to create a fund that would contribute $1 million each year for 15 years for battery energy storage and solar projects in towns that host the offshore wind project. Those communities would include New Bedford, towns on Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket, Barnstable, Yarmouth, and towns across Bristol County.

“We have a deep commitment to helping households in need and advancing the cause of renewable energy,” Citizens Energy CEO Peter Smith said. “Our partnership with Vineyard Wind allows us to accomplish both.”

The fund will be used to create a revolving loan fund for energy efficiency improvements to multifamily, low-income housing, and to give ongoing credits to low-income residents’ electricity bills and backup power and cost savings for public buildings, according to the company.

Read the full story at the Cape Cod Times

Massachusetts: Offshore Wind Company Accepting Public Comments On Proposed Project

April 6, 2018 — An offshore wind developer is seeking comments from the public on potential environmental impacts of its proposed Massachusetts project, which could be the nation’s first large-scale offshore wind farm if approved.

Vineyard Wind wants to build an 800-megawatt energy facility 14 miles south of Martha’s Vineyard. The wind farm’s 106 wind turbine generators would be capable of powering up to 500,000 homes.

The company, along with two other developers, submitted proposals to the state last year in response to a request from power companies.

If their project is approved, Vineyard Wind said their wind farm could be operational as early as 2021.

Read the full story at Rhode Island Public Radio

 

Extended Voluntary Right Whale Speed Restriction Zone

April 5, 2018 — The following was released by NOAA Fisheries:

NOAA Fisheries announces that the voluntary vessel speed restriction zone (Dynamic Management Area or DMA) established on March 20 has been extended to protect an aggregation of 8 right whales sighted 20 nautical miles south of Nantucket on March 29. This DMA will continue to be in effect through April 12, 2018.

Mariners are requested to route around this area or transit through it at 10 knots or less.

VOLUNTARY DYNAMIC MANAGEMENT AREAS (DMAs)

Mariners are requested to avoid or transit at 10 knots or less inside the following areas where persistent aggregations of right whales have been sighted. Find out more about ship strike reduction efforts.

Southwest of Nantucket, MA DMA — in effect through April 12, 2018

41 28 N
40 47 N
070 45 W
069 46 W

ACTIVE SEASONAL MANAGEMENT AREAS (SMAs)

Mandatory speed restrictions of 10 knots or less (50 CFR 224.105) are in effect in the following areas:

  • Cape Cod Bay SMA in effect through May 15, 2018
  • Block Island SMA in effect through April 30, 2018

New York, Philadelphia and Norfolk SMA in effect through April 30, 2018.

Right Whales in Crisis

The year 2017 was devastating for North Atlantic right whales, which suffered a loss of 17 whales, plus an additional mortality in January 2018–about 4 percent of their population–an alarming number for such a critically endangered species with a population currently estimated at about 450 animals.

In August 2017, NOAA Fisheries declared the increase in right whale mortalities an “Unusual Mortality Event,” which helps the agency direct additional scientific and financial resources to investigating, understanding, and reducing the mortalities in partnership with the Marine Mammal Stranding Network, Canada’s Department of Fisheries and Oceans, and outside experts from the scientific research community.

More Info

Recent right whale sightings

Download the Whale Alert app for iPad and iPhone

Acoustic detections in Cape Cod Bay and the Boston TSS

Send a blank message to receive a return email listing all current U.S. DMAs and SMAs.

Details and graphics of all ship strike management zones currently in effect.

Reminder: Approaching a right whale closer than 500 yards in a violation of federal and state law.

 

New York Lawmakers Go To Bat Over Fisheries Cutbacks

April 5, 2018 — The federal government is proposing a 12 percent reduction for the recreational black sea bass fishery in 2018,  despite the fact that scientists say the black sea bass fishery has been rebuilt to two-and-a-half times what regulators consider to be sustainable, and New York State is fighting back.

State Senator Ken LaValle and State Assemblyman Fred Thiele agree with DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos that “non-compliance is a legitimate remedy” for this cutback, stating that “this action discriminates against the State of New York. It would have a significant adverse effect on the Long Island economy” in a joint statement issued Monday.

“This has not been an isolated case of discrimination against New York State,” they added. “Unfortunately, this is part of a long history of federal action that has strangled the fishing industry in New York to the benefit of other states. DEC advocacy for our fishing industry is long overdue.”

New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut filed an appeal with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission over the catch reduction on March 16, and Mr. Seggos expects an answer by late April or early May. He has told the press he plans to litigate the matter if the state does not win the appeal.

“The State of New York should utilize every legal and administrative tool at its disposal to overturn this ill-considered federal proposal,” said Mr. Thiele and Mr. LaValle. “New York should not be at a disadvantage with other states on the East Coast. Again and again, we have seen politics replace science to the detriment of New York State fishermen, whether they are recreational anglers, charter boat captains, or commercial fishermen. When the federal government is arbitrary and capricious, the state must say “no.”

In late March, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and Attorney General Eric Schneiderman announced they had filed an appeal over commercial summer flounder (fluke) quotas set by the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council of the National Marine Fisheries Service, and were also looking into taking action on New York’s quotas on black sea bass and bluefish.

For 2018, New York commercial fishing daily trip limits for fluke were set at 50 pounds. New York commercial fishermen are allowed to take just 7.6 percent of the fluke allocated among the mid-Atlantic states. These tight restrictions, compounded by monthly limits aimed at keeping the landings in check throughout the year, led to a closure of commercial fluke fishing here last fall.

Read the full story at the East End Beacon

 

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 232
  • 233
  • 234
  • 235
  • 236
  • …
  • 360
  • Next Page »

Recent Headlines

  • Debate grows over NOAA plan to expand snapper access
  • FAO study estimates 20 percent of seafood is subject to fraud
  • FLORIDA: ‘It’s our resource’: Florida’s East Coast could see longest Red Snapper season since 2009 in 2026
  • LOUISIANA: More than 900 Louisiana restaurants cited for violating new seafood labeling law in 2025
  • NOAA Fisheries opens public comments on state-led recreational red snapper management, renewing concerns of overfishing
  • Falling in Love with Farmed Seafood February 12, 2026
  • Messaging Mariners in Real Time to Reduce North Atlantic Right Whale Vessel Strikes
  • US House votes to end Trump tariffs on Canada

Most Popular Topics

Alaska Aquaculture ASMFC Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission BOEM California China Climate change Coronavirus COVID-19 Donald Trump groundfish Gulf of Maine Gulf of Mexico Illegal fishing IUU fishing Lobster Maine Massachusetts Mid-Atlantic National Marine Fisheries Service National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration NEFMC New Bedford New England New England Fishery Management Council New Jersey New York NMFS NOAA NOAA Fisheries North Atlantic right whales North Carolina North Pacific offshore energy Offshore wind Pacific right whales Salmon South Atlantic Virginia Western Pacific Whales wind energy Wind Farms

Daily Updates & Alerts

Enter your email address to receive daily updates and alerts:
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Tweets by @savingseafood

Copyright © 2026 Saving Seafood · WordPress Web Design by Jessee Productions