Saving Seafood

  • Home
  • News
    • Alerts
    • Conservation & Environment
    • Council Actions
    • Economic Impact
    • Enforcement
    • International & Trade
    • Law
    • Management & Regulation
    • Regulations
    • Nutrition
    • Opinion
    • Other News
    • Safety
    • Science
    • State and Local
  • News by Region
    • New England
    • Mid-Atlantic
    • South Atlantic
    • Gulf of Mexico
    • Pacific
    • North Pacific
    • Western Pacific
  • About
    • Contact Us
    • Fishing Terms Glossary

Massachusetts could boost dredging projects

July 12, 2018 — Sediment is piling up on the bottoms of rivers and harbors, putting cities and towns on Cape Ann and elsewhere into a multimillion-dollar bind.

State and federal funding for local dredging has dried up in recent decades, forcing local officials to dig into reserves or borrow money to remove silt in order to make their waterways deep enough for boats to navigate.

Gov. Charlie Baker has pitched a new program — with $50 million in grant money — to help coastal communities pay for dredging as part of a more than $660 million economic development proposal, which cleared the state House of Representatives late Tuesday.

The measure still needs approval from the state Senate.

Under Baker’s plan, communities would compete for matching grants and be required to cover half the costs of each project.

Senate Minority Leader Bruce Tarr, R-Gloucester, said the money would go a long way because many communities along the coast haven’t dredged in decades. In many instances, he said, silting is making waterways less navigable.

Read the full story at the Gloucester Daily Times

Sens. Markey, Warren support right whale legislation

July 11, 2018 — Sens. Edward Markey and Elizabeth Warren will co-sponsor the SAVE Right Whales Act, filed June 7 by four other Atlantic Coast senators.

“Senator Markey wanted to ensure that all of the stakeholders in Massachusetts that would be impacted by the legislation were briefed on the bill, understood its provisions, and had the opportunity to share their perspectives before he committed to co-sponsorship,” a spokesman for the senator said.

On Monday, Markey and Warren both became co-sponsors of the bill joining Democrats from New Jersey, Delaware, New Jersey, Florida and New York.

U.S. Rep. Rep. William Keating, D-Mass., introduced a similar bill in the House on June 7 with three other representatives.

The legislation would allocate $5 million annually in grants through 2028 for conservation programs, and the development of new technology or other methods to reduce harm to right whales from fishing gear entanglements and ship collisions. Grants could promote cooperation with foreign governments, affected local communities, small businesses, others in the private sector or nongovernment groups. The National Marine Fisheries Service has funded North Atlantic right whale protections at more than $8 million annually since fiscal year 2009, with another $128,000 released last year with announcement of an unusual mortality event after 17 right whales were observed dead in Canadian and U.S. waters.

The Massachusetts Lobstermen’s Association gave its nod of approval on June 20 to the SAVE Act. The Cape Cod Commercial Fishermen’s Alliance has endorsed the bill as well.

Read the full story at the Cape Cod Times

Feds might allow fishermen to catch more skates

July 10, 2018 — The federal government is looking to allow fishermen to catch more Northeastern skates, which are caught for use as food and bait.

Skates are bottom-dwelling fish that are often sold in fish markets as “skate wing.” The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is proposing to increase the annual catch limit for skates by about 8 percent, to nearly 70 million pounds.

The proposed rule changes would apply to a management plan for Northeastern skate fishery.

The biggest skate producing states are Alaska, Rhode Island and Massachusetts, though the fish are brought to land as far south as California on the West Coast and North Carolina on the East Coast.

The full proposed rule may found at https://bit.ly/2NDexjm

Read the full story from the Associated Press at the Gloucester Daily Times

‘How are we going to get paid?’; fishing ban continues to suffocate local businesses

July 9, 2018 — Anne Jardin-Maynard is an accountant. She doesn’t own a commercial fishing vessel. The New Bedford native works within an office on Centre Street.

Yet for more than seven months, a groundfishing ban implemented by NOAA has prevented Jardin-Maynard from receiving a paycheck. That doesn’t mean the owner of Jardin & Dawson, a settlement house, which handles payroll and accounting for fishing boats, has stopped working.

“If the boats aren’t fishing, how are we going to get paid,” Jardin-Maynard said.

NOAA announced the groundfishing ban at the end of last November as a result of Carlos Rafael falsifying fishing quota. It was also meant to delay operations for Sector IX, the fishing division where Rafael’s boats were associated, so it could draft provisions to prevent repeat offenses.

Since that time, though, the sector has assigned new board members multiple times, provisions have been drafted, and quota has been gathered as potential repayment, but the ban remains.

“I think they need to move it along,” said Jardin-Maynard, who is a new board member of Sector IX as well. “This has been a long time coming. The person that was involved in it (is penalized). It’s not fair for the other people to be involved in this. He’s paying his price.”

Rafael is serving a 46-month prison term in part for falsifying fishing records. While he serves his time in federal prison in Fort Devens, about 80 fishermen have been out of work sending a ripple effect throughout shoreside businesses from ice houses to processors to settlement houses.

Read the full story at the New Bedford Standard-Times

HANK SOULE: Revitalizing waterfront is still up to sectors and Carlos Rafael

July 9, 2018 — Carlos Rafael misreported his groundfish catch, and in its piece “Time for NOAA to let Sector IX fish again,” the Times is misreporting the facts.

First, NOAA didn’t calculate, as the piece states, that Rafael misreported just 72,000 pounds of grey sole. He openly admitted to stealing over 10 times that amount, of several different fish stocks. Rather, NOAA has apparently calculated that all but some remaining grey sole has been repaid, with quota seized earlier to cover the debt.

Second, neither Sector IX nor Sector VII has submitted a plan to return to fishing. Sector IX purged itself of nearly every vessel and permit enrolled there, retaining the bare minimum required to maintain legal status. It submitted an operations plan — which explains how a sector and its boats will track and report their quotas — which states that Sector IX has no immediate intent to resume fishing.

Sector VII is even more explicit. It absorbed the many Rafael vessels and permits shunted from Sector IX under the condition that they “will be enrolling as a non-active member and will not be authorized to fish” until Carlos Rafael sells them. In fact, Sector VII explicitly requested NOAA’s help to DENY those vessels permission to harvest.

Read the full opinion piece at the New Bedford Standard-Times

MASSACHUSETTS: ‘A place to do great science’

July 9, 2018 — Chris Munkholm has lived with every phase of building Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute’s new research institute and laboratory, from the first rendering to the ongoing construction along the Gloucester waterfront by landlord Windover Construction.

But nothing really prepared GMGI’s chief operating officer for the impressions that washed over her as she stood Friday in what will be GMGI’s conference room with views of the Jodrey State Fish Pier across the north channel.

“This is really the first time I’ve experienced it as a three-dimensional space and seen how glorious it will be to look out these windows and recognize that we are a part of America’s oldest fishing harbor,” Munkholm said. “I’m almost in tears.”

Munkholm and other GMGI executives and board members got their initial look at their new digs Friday morning in a site walk-through that presented the first tangible experience of the work space to come.

“I don’t think we could have dreamt anything better,” said Marc Vidal, one of GMGI’s founders and a member of its scientific advisory board. “It’s taken us five years to get established here, with local people starting to recognize and accept us. In the next five years, I believe that recognition will grow to a national scale. Interestingly, that would be in the year 2023, which is the 400th anniversary of the discovery of Gloucester.”

Read the full story at the Gloucester Daily Times

Great whites help scientists understand ocean’s ‘twilight zone’

July 6, 2018 — Four years ago, Lydia, a 14 ½-foot, 1-ton great white shark almost made history when she swam over the Mid-Atlantic Ridge in March of 2014, a submerged mountain chain that runs from the Arctic Ocean to the southern tip of Africa, and entered the eastern Atlantic.

No other great white had made a documented Atlantic crossing and, while she ultimately turned back 800 miles short of the Cornish coastline, scientists puzzled over why she made the trip at all.

Great whites are driven by the search for food, but a foray into the open ocean beyond the continental shelf, often portrayed as a desert relieved only by an occasional oasis, was baffling. Finding a possible answer took detective work, piecing together data from some of the most sophisticated technology strapped to two great whites, as well as a network of satellites and ocean-going robots. It’s a technique scientists hope will be a model for future research into the unknown worlds of the deep sea and for conservation efforts to protect that ecosystem.

Read the full story at the Cape Cod Times

Mariners brake for right whales

July 5, 2018 — NOAA Fisheries announced Tuesday that a voluntary vessel speed restriction zone has been established to protect a group of four North Atlantic right whales sighted two nautical miles south of Nantucket on June 30, according to a press release.

Mariners are asked to travel at 10 knots or less inside the area where the whales were spotted, in order to avoid ship collisions with the endangered species. Effective through July 15, either slow to 10 knots or avoid the area of 41 32 N, 40 54 N, 070 29 W, 069 36 W.

Mandatory speed restrictions of 10 knots or less are also in effect in the Great South Channel through July 31.

In 2017, 17 whales died, plus an additional mortality in January 2018, totaling about 4 percent of the entire right whale population. Also in 2017, two right whale carcasses washed up on Vineyard beaches, and two other carcasses were found on Nantucket and the Elizabeth Islands. This sparked an increased local effort by the NOAA and the U.S. Coast Guard to protect the whales from further harm. Migratory patterns of right whales trace directly through parts of Nantucket and Vineyard Sound as they travel to seasonal plankton blooms for food. The whales are a critically endangered species, with a population estimated at about 450 animals, according to the release.

Read the full story at the Martha’s Vineyard Times

MASSACHUSETTS: 100 gallons of oil spilled into harbor Tuesday

July 5, 2018 — Residents living along the coast of New Bedford harbor and those enjoying a day in the water may have noticed the odor of diesel fuel to accompany their Fourth of July celebration as crews from Frank Corp work to clean about 100 gallons that spilled into the harbor on Tuesday.

The spill occurred in the area of Pearse Park boat ramp Tuesday night at around 8 p.m., according to the Coast Guard. Fairhaven Fire and EMS said the spill affected from the fishing vessel Pacific Capes, which is owned by Atlantic Capes Fisheries. The spill extended from Linberg Marine to the Seaport Inn Marina.

Fairhaven Fire and EMS was hopeful that as the temperature increased on Wednesday, the oily sheen would dissipate.

Read the full story at the New Bedford Standard-Times

Congressman Keating says groundfishing ban is in ‘final stages,’ expects it to be lifted soon

July 3, 2018 — As calendars turned to July on Sunday, the new month represented the ninth in which about 80 local fishermen have been banned from groundfishing.

Congressman Bill Keating, who according to some on the waterfront, has most actively tried to return those fishermen to work said on Monday that he expects NOAA to release a decision soon.

“We’re just waiting for the final aspects going forward,” Keating said.

Last month, city, state and federal politicians met at the Whaling Museum to discuss possible scenarios to end the ban. Fishermen also met with the federal delegation in May.

The Democrat representing Massachusetts’ 9th Congressional District said “an administrative procedure” is separating the rule from being announced.

NOAA provided no comment on a timetable and said it would release a statement when an announcement is made.

NOAA has remained quiet throughout the groundfishing ban, which was imposed on November 20, 2017 as measures to force repayment of the fishing overages by Carlos Rafael and to prevent any recurrence of mislabeling.

Read the full story at the New Bedford Standard-Times

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 216
  • 217
  • 218
  • 219
  • 220
  • …
  • 360
  • Next Page »

Recent Headlines

  • Debate grows over NOAA plan to expand snapper access
  • FAO study estimates 20 percent of seafood is subject to fraud
  • FLORIDA: ‘It’s our resource’: Florida’s East Coast could see longest Red Snapper season since 2009 in 2026
  • LOUISIANA: More than 900 Louisiana restaurants cited for violating new seafood labeling law in 2025
  • NOAA Fisheries opens public comments on state-led recreational red snapper management, renewing concerns of overfishing
  • Falling in Love with Farmed Seafood February 12, 2026
  • Messaging Mariners in Real Time to Reduce North Atlantic Right Whale Vessel Strikes
  • US House votes to end Trump tariffs on Canada

Most Popular Topics

Alaska Aquaculture ASMFC Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission BOEM California China Climate change Coronavirus COVID-19 Donald Trump groundfish Gulf of Maine Gulf of Mexico Illegal fishing IUU fishing Lobster Maine Massachusetts Mid-Atlantic National Marine Fisheries Service National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration NEFMC New Bedford New England New England Fishery Management Council New Jersey New York NMFS NOAA NOAA Fisheries North Atlantic right whales North Carolina North Pacific offshore energy Offshore wind Pacific right whales Salmon South Atlantic Virginia Western Pacific Whales wind energy Wind Farms

Daily Updates & Alerts

Enter your email address to receive daily updates and alerts:
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Tweets by @savingseafood

Copyright © 2026 Saving Seafood · WordPress Web Design by Jessee Productions